Although recreation is important, it’s not a main priority at STAR Mentoring. The program always centers on teaching basic values and improving school performance, behavior, and self-image. Recreation is used as a reward and as a method to build stronger relationships between the mentors and the children.
During most months STAR Mentoring sponsors a group activity for all the children and mentors. One goal of this activity is to establish relationships among all the mentors and children. Each STAR child then has 25 mentors looking out for their best interests. Among the recent activities mentors or the STAR staff have organized are:
- A trip for 75 kids to Universal Soul Circus in New Haven
- An outdoor games day at Stratton Brook Park in Simsbury
- Visits to Mystic Seaport, the beach, and New York City
- A girls’ overnight stay in a hotel for dinner, a swim, and life talk
- Bowling, roller skating, and an amusement park day
- NBA games to New York, New Jersey, & Philadelphia